Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What the...

So Richard Dawkins is upset that "religious" people have a reputation for being generous. More generous than, say, non-religious people. It offends his sensibilities.

Okay...

So, to assuage his pain, he has launched a campaign, calling all atheists to donate to the Haitian relief effort.

I think that's great. And though you surely would not appreciate my saying so, God bless you, Richard Dawkins.

The Haitians are being helped. That's what matters. I seriously doubt that they care where it's coming from. For that matter, I seriously doubt whether ANY relief organizations are checking people's faith credentials at the door... except for maybe, his.

So wait, let me get this straight. Are you saying, Mr. Dawkins, that the faithful need NOT apply? For WHAT reason again? Oh yeah... you don't like that they are generous?

Okay...

Have to admit, I find that a little strange. Isn't the point right now to help, PERIOD? Is there ANY reason to be exploiting the tragedy in Haiti right now as some kind of weirded out competition between the sacred and the secular's altruistic tendencies?

Your call your website a clear thinking oasis. Hmmm... gotta admit, I'm having a hard time with that one.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I guess we ARE called to spur others on to good works! Love it!

Well said...well spoken...well written....yup.