Friday, July 20, 2012

Selective Outrage

Ok, so if I understood my morning car radio session with NPR correctly, I should be very concerned about the integrity of a person (Mitt Romney) who refuses to submit his tax returns.   This election, after all, is about character.

Hmmm...    
[sound of hamster wheel spinning in head]

So...   If I ask "why there was not a similar outrage by some over Timothy Geitner's tax evasion as there is about Mitt Romney's refusal to disclose his tax returns?", it's not because I think he (Mitt) shouldn't discose his taxes. I think he should. I just think we are selectively outraged, depending on our alliances, that's all.

It happens again and again and again, and I am incredulous that no one seems to be able to recognize it. 

   Both sides have huge flaws and significant amounts of corruption, greed, power grabbing and manipulation... and their die-hard supporters have major blind spots, not to mention the makings for some serious back pain from all the bendy wendy gymnastics to justify their side and villify the opposing side. Republicans do it. Democrats do it. I have done it. And I am sick of, and hereby repenting of it.

Can we not be honest with ourselves? Can we not just admit that when we engage in this kind of finger pointing, we are saying more about ourselves than what we claim to believe in?

In the end, we are fooling ourselves if we really think this is about seeking and defending truth. We are seekers and defenders of self. Period.

No comments: