Friday, September 21, 2012

FIFTY THINGS I LOVE ABOUT MY HUSBAND

Today is my husband Ken's 50th birthday.  In honor of this momentous occasion, I have taken it upon myself to list 50 things that I love about him.  This list is neither exhaustive nor in prioritized order... but it is all true.  Every bit of it!


WHAT I LOVE ABOUT KEN: 
50.  That he considers 10 hours a short work day. 

49.  The way he explains the thermal coefficient of steel over and over again ever so patiently, knowing I will only have a marginal understanding at best.

48.  The playful way he mocks my home town of Elmira, NY, as if we all popped off the set of Green Acres. 

47.  Although  he cooks, cleans, launders, irons and basically does anything domestic better than me, he does not let that interfere with the delicate balance of nature in our home.

46.  I know without question he would lay down his life for Felicity and me… or at least sustain an injury from slipping on the casings...

45.  His linear thinking to offset my nonlinear freakfest of a brain.

44.  His creative take on song lyrics:, without even realizing he is rewriting them  (eg.  KC & The Sunshine Band:  "Do a little dance... sing a little song... get down tonight!)

43.  That he knows EV.RY.THING.

42.  His impression of Golom.

41.  The way he chases Felicity around.

40.  The way he chases the cat around.

39.  The way he chases me around.

38.  That he not only knows Scripture, he lives it out.

37.  When he tells me “you’re seldom wrong, but never without an answer!”

36.  That he is the machine whisperer. 

35.  No one on earth laughs like him.

34.  His first face-to-face words to me:   "You’re pretty.  Cool.”

33.  His guitar stylings.

32.  His Lou Rawls impression.

31.  His ear splitting cadence calls.

30.  That he is the only person I know who not only thinks to create zoned heating for the house, but actually knows how to do it… and does it!

29.  The way he cares for us in thousands of decisions he makes every day, week, month and year to put us first.

28.  That wherever he goes, he is the smartest person in the room, and everyone, deep in their heart, knows it. 

27.  His secret love of pop culture.

26.  How he is the best example of a Clockmaker I know  (which will only make sense if you are familiar with Jim Collins' "Good to Great" book)

25.  His extreme generosity.

24.  How he loves to learn.

23.  Two words:  Handsome Warrior

22.  His beautiful green eyes, boring a hole into my soul like the 80 year old picture of  his Aunt Imelda hanging on our wall

21.  How he honors his mother, and cares for her.

20.  His faithfulness to our family.

19.  How on our honeymoon he knew more about the Mayans than our Mexican tourguides.

18.  The way he tries to teach me proper radio listening etiquette when NPR is on and I can’t contain myself one second longer without responding to the airwaves with incredulity. 
17.  How he loves his brothers.

16.  His freakishly intense tenacity.

15.  How he gave my mother a hug and told her “You did a good job” after coming back from my father’s funeral.

14.  That he let me pick out the kitchen cabinet handles.

13.  That he still occasionally says “Nancy is nice!”

12.   That he could care less about football.

11.   How he calls me his "Testa Rosa" 

10.  That he has not only won me over to Star Trek, but occasionally PBS

  9.  The way he knew about Ruth and Boaz when we were Eharmonizing

  8.  That he is not just knowledgeable, but possesses great wisdom. 

  7.  His love of blowing things up.

  6.  The way he sings.  It brings me joy.

  5.  That anything he does, he does extremely, thoroughly and freakishly well.

4.  That he is so glad he married a rich woman ;^)

3.  That everyone who knows him knows him to be a man of honor, integrity, faithfulness and sheer brilliance. 

2.  That he loves me… and Felicity. 

1.  That he loves the Lord with all his heart, soul, mind, and strength. 

(ok, so the last 2 were in proper order!)

 

I love you, Ken Carmichael, with all my heart. 
Remember, darling:  Life is short.  So we must live.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

and he makes a mean clay Dubya.